Location, Utah, USA

How Are Women Viewed In The Media?

Helping woman feel beautiful and confident in their own skin

How Are Women Viewed In The Media?

How Are Women Viewed In The Media?- It's Heartbreaking

Although it is tough to bring up, this topic must be avoided. Today’s culture has a pervasive misunderstanding that women are expected to stay at home and take care of their families. Additionally, it specifies how they ought to behave and appear while at home. But all of this is untrue. Women must realize that everyone is lovely and that anything they desire is achievable. So, how are women viewed in the media? 

In my perspective as a woman, one of the most challenging aspects is steering clear of the objectification of women. This issue, stemming from the media’s misleading narratives, is a constant presence in our lives as women. This article delves into the portrayal of women in media and offers insights on how to address these portrayals.

How Are Women Viewed In The Media?- It's Heartbreaking

How Women Are Depicted in the Media

Media encompasses various platforms such as radio, print, the internet, social media, and television. Chances are, you’ve encountered stereotypes about women and their unfair treatment in the media you engage with. However, why should this concern anyone, and why is it significant? The answer is straightforward: It’s unjust and ethically unacceptable.

Regarding women’s media portrayal, they are often overly sexualized and depicted as extremely thin. However, it’s essential to understand that this does not reflect reality. Furthermore, women are often perceived as having a lower social status in society. For example, women do not speak as much as men do, have few opinions, and do not always play important roles, such as being strong and independent.

Numerous studies have explored this topic, yielding intriguing findings. According to multiple research studies, a mere 5% of women can be considered genuinely equal, leaving a substantial 95% who do not hold positions of influence. Men, in comparison, outnumber women in positions of power by a staggering 83%. The fact that men have more authority is truly perplexing. They are frequently offered higher-paying roles, are more likely to secure employment, and receive greater compensation than women. Despite there being a larger number of women in the world, men continue to dominate positions of authority. However, the underlying question remains: Is this due to women’s genuine incapability in comparison to men, or is it simply a result of women being objectified as mere sexual objects?


Media and Technological Advancements

Thanks to technological advancements, accessing media has become more convenient than ever before. However, this convenience has also made it easier for individuals to engage in harassment and stalking, particularly targeting women, and these incidents occur regularly. For instance, when a woman shares something online, she often encounters highly sexualized comments or receives numerous direct messages with opportunistic intentions. This is a distressing situation that reflects more on the individuals engaging in such behavior than on the women involved.

In contrast, the media sometimes shifts blame onto the woman, asserting that her content, whether an image or video, is explicit and that she is at fault. It is crucial to emphasize that the responsibility lies squarely with those who choose to objectify individuals, whether women or men. Blaming the victim is never justified. The key lies in how one chooses to respond. Therefore, for anyone reading this who may be engaging in objectification, whether directed at women or men, it is imperative to cease such behavior.

Technology is a wonderful gift that has been bestowed upon us. Nonetheless, technology has had a significant impact on society. It all depends on how you use it to your advantage. Work, communication with others, entertainment, and so on. It becomes destructive when technology and media are used to destroy because of rage or jealousy. W